At Dublin Drain Unblocking, we like to help you solve your drain issue before you need to call a professional drain clearing engineer.. There are occasions that you may be able to clear the blockages yourself so here are 5 of the best drain unblocking tips we have. There is normally a good indication that you have a drainage issue. Signs like bath or sink takes longer to drain or the shower tray gathers a pool of water around your feet. These are all signs of an imminent blocked drain. The quicker the problem is addressed the less hassle. The drain could be blocked in the trap or outside.
The first thing to do is clear all the visible debris that has built up around the drain. Then follow these 5 drain unblocking tips.
1) The coat hanger. Take a coat hanger and straighten it as best as possible. Form a hook at one end. Insert it past the drain cover a start fishing. Try to remove as much gunk, nasty stuff and hair. Try to make sure you are removing it and not pushing it further. Once you have removed as much as you can boil some hot water and pour it down the drain. This can often clear up the problem.
2) Boiling Water. You will need to try this in 3 stages boil the kettle and pour the water down thew drain slowly stopping 2 or 3 times so as to allow the boiling water to work. Repeat once or twice more. This can be the most straightforward way to clear a blocked drain.
3) Try a household plunger. Fill the drain so that there is enough water to cover the plunger cup. If you are plunging a double sink make sure the plug is in the other sink. Put the plunger in to the water making sure all the air is out of the cup. Once a seal is formed plunge quickly. You should be able to feel the blockage move. If successful flush the drain out with boiling water.
4) Try you Mothers method of vinegar and baking soda. Take about half a cup of vinegar and add a couple of large tablespoons of baking soda. Pour the mixture down the blocked drain and follow it with a couple of pints of boiling water. Leave this to work overnight and then flush with more boiling water.
5) As a last resort try caustic soda. Read the instructions very carefully. Always wear rubber gloves and eye protection as it can cause nasty chemical burns. Mix water and caustic soda in a bucket as per the instructions using a wooden stick. Once it starts to fizz and heat up pour it down the drain. Leave it to stand for about 20 minutes then flush with boiling water. Repeat this if necessary.
Health and safety with our drain unblocking tips.
1) Do not use chemicals with drains that are completely blocked.This may result in dangerous chemicals building up in your pipe work ultimately causing more damage.
2) Never use a plunger with caustic soda this can produce dangerous splash back.
3) Always use safety wear before undertaking any drain clearing tips on this page and always be aware of any potential dangers in the immediate area of the blockage. If in any doubt, call the drain cleaning professionals!
If your blockage is too serious and none of the above drain unblocking tips resolve the issue call the professionals at Drain Unblocking Dublin on 01-687 4853.
The team at Dublin Drain Unblocking can be with you in under an hour in an emergency for any of the areas in Dublin city.